BARtab » News

Man charged with elder abuse

by Alex Madison

Man charged with elder abuse

A 33-year-old man has been charged with elder abuse, criminal threats, and vandalism after multiple incidents involving a 63-year-old man he was allegedly caring for.

Natthakarn Laohacharoensombat, who goes by Ray, was arrested in late May, according to the complaint, and eventually charged with eight misdemeanors, the most serious of which include one count of inflicting injury on an elderly man.

"The defendant ... did willfully cause and permit an elderly and dependent adult ... with knowledge that he/she is an elder and a dependent adult, to suffer and inflict unjustifiable physical pain and mental suffering," the complaint states.

Relating to his other charges, the complaint states that on May 21, Laohacharoensombat attempted to steal a watch from the victim and made death threats. On May 23, the defendant allegedly vandalized the victim's property by defacing his eyeglasses with graffiti, resulting in less than $400 worth of damage. That same day, Laohacharoensombat allegedly committed false imprisonment against the man, according to the complaint.

Laohacharoensombat also stole $950 from the man by using his ATM card and bank account information, the complaint claims, throughout a six-month period.

At the defendant's May 30 court hearing at San Francisco Superior Court, at which point he remained in custody, he was issued a stay away order as a condition of bail, which required him to stay at least 150 yards away from the man. Laohacharoensombat was also required to wear an electronic monitoring device. He was released on bail.

On June 3, however, Laohacharoensombat was arrested for violating his stay away order. According to police reports, Laohacharoensombat attempted to enter the man's home around 3 p.m. Laohacharoensombat first knocked on the front door, but was unsuccessful in entering. He then went around to the backdoor, where he attempted to gain entry. The man called the police, but Laohacharoensombat fled before police arrived. Three hours later, Laohacharoensombat returned to the home, where he was eventually arrested.

The victim "appeared to be fearful and shaken by the presence of Laohacharoensombat at the time of the interview," stated the police report.

Laohacharoensombat was charged with two counts of violating his stay away order. At his latest court hearing July 9, Laohacharoensombat's request to remove his electronic monitoring device was denied. His next court hearing is August 16.

The San Francisco Public Defender's office, which is representing Laohacharoensombat, did not respond to a request for comment by press time.


Add New Comment

Comments on Facebook